Adware are also called Ad-injection software, which support advertising and can come from multiple download sites. These are the system hijackers and unwanted programs that may infect your Apple Mac OS X operating system. Adware is customized on free-to-download programs, which you install from websites, after which you might see pop-up windows, ads, and graphics while accessing the Internet. In case you have selected ‘Block pop-up windows’ in your browser preferences, these programs might also change your homepage as well as preferred search engine.
Basically, Adware is a type of infection that is designed to make money or to infect and hack the Mac system.
These programs generate web traffic, collect sales leads for other problematic sites, and display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser. There are many sites which allow free downloads and do not disclose the installed Adware. Therefore, with intentionally downloaded free software, the unwanted programs also get bundled with their installation. To remove Adware from Mac, you should pay attention while installing any free software, because often a free software installer may include multiple optional installs. Pay attention when you agree to install. Usually, except custom installation you should deselect all other non familiar options.
Symptoms you will experience after installing infected Adware in your Mac OS X
- Multiple advertising banners have been available on the web pages you visit
- Web page text is turned into hyperlinks randomly
- Fake updates or other software are recommended through popups by your browser
- Multiple unwanted Adware applications might get added in your system without your knowledge
Steps to remove Adware from Apple Mac OS X
Once Adware is installed in your system, it is better to remove it immediately before it harms your system. In order to remove Adware from your system, you can use software, which are good enough to resolve all issues related to such infections. Let’s discuss some popular and reliable anti-adware software.
Remove Adware with AdwareMedic
AdwareMedic is reliable and powerful free application that can remove Adware and browser infections from Mac OS X.
You can easily download it from an authorized site for free, it scans the harddrive fast and alerts you if it finds any adware.
- Once you are done with downloading, open the disk image from your Downloads folder
- Now, in order to install AdwareMedic, the software instructs you to drag its icon to your Applications folder. In case you don’t want to drag it, you don’t have to
- Now, double-click on the AdwareMedic icon to run it
- Click the ‘Scan for Adware’ button to initiate scanning on your system for Adware
- After you are done, it will alert you about available Adware and offer you to remove them
Remove viruses from Mac with Avast antivirus program for Mac
Mac OSX is one of the most secured existing operating systems. However, due to increasing hacking attacks, the stored and cached data is not secured at all. Nowadays, with the increasing security, the ability of hackers has also increased, and they always try to steal your personal information. For example, credit or debit card information can be compromised using several techniques, such as phishing and spear phishing. You can see it daily in your spam-boxes and sandboxes. Avast Antivirus is designed to limit these threats in Mac machine and detects and removes the Adware from your Apple Mac OS X.
In order to start, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Download Avast! Free Antivirus for Mac utility from an authorized site and install it on your Mac machine
- After successful installation, perform a ‘Full System Scan’ to remove Adware from your Mac OS X.
- Now it will remove the entire Adware virus from Apple Mac OS X, and it will start protecting your Mac OS X from future infection.
Virus protection with Sophos Anti-Virus program:
Sophos is another free anti-virus applications that removes the damage and blocks attacks from viruses, worms, trojans and other malware across networks. It provides a level of protection against the most common threats, and keeps your computer safe. It is free software and can be downloaded easily.
- In order to use it you have to download or install it on your Mac system
- After a successful information, it starts scanning your system for viruses
- If the Sophos anti-virus icon is grey, this indicates that the scanner is not running and it has not protection your Mac against threats
- If there is a red circle with a white cross over the program icon, it indicates that it is not updated
These all above applications are available for free and you can use them to remove Adware present in your system. If you ever suspect any type of Adware in your Mac machine, it is advisable that do not ignore it. Try to remove it by using the above-mentioned applications before it harms your system or stored information.
Bio: I am running free version of Sophos for my Mac. It helps me check adware and malware on OS X drive. Also, I clean my Mac with Stellar Speedup Mac so that no junk files hinder the smooth running of my Mac system. Do try – it is available for free.